Sunday, January 27, 2013

My Visit to Las Vegas, Part 2: Spiritual Darkness


(Susie B. - FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

My Visit to Las Vegas, Part 2: Spiritual Darkness

You may be wondering what I was doing in Las Vegas.  Well, I was there for a industry show.  It wasn't related to my day-to-day work as a pastor, but instead was a military, law enforcement, sporting, and outdoors show that is held every year.   When I am not with my family or working, I try to get outside as often as I can and in the past I have had the opportunity to hike and camp across the U.S. as well as be a wilderness survival instructor at Cornell University.  All this to say, I was out at an industry show where new tactical and outdoor products and companies are showcased.

So Vegas - wow.  Part of me wants to simply say that Las Vegas  is all that is wrong with society today.  But honestly, that is an over-simplification of a major American city.

When I first arrived in Vegas and was being shuttled to my hotel, I was struck by the boldness of the advertising.  It was nothing to drive past a billboard that stated directly or strongly implied that a certain lounge was a place filled with every possible way to meet any human lust.  Certainly, much of the life of the city comes from entertainment - comedians, singers, and others - and while some of it was wholesome enough (think: Donnie and Marie Osmond), much of it was base.  I'm probably not telling you anything you did not think or assume, but it was, to me, a totally different experience to know that there was a crassness to Vegas and then to see how it is boldly proclaimed. 

In Romans 1, the apostle gives us a sad and powerful picture of what it means to be far from God.   He tells us that though we know there is Creator who deserves our praise and thanksgiving, we don't see such knowledge as worth keeping.  Thus, we not only engage in scandal and evil, we boast and revel in debauchery. 

To be honest, being in Las Vegas helped me to pray more fervently.  This city needs the Gospel of Christ.

- tC

No comments:

Post a Comment