Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Trip to Las Vegas, Part 1: The Desert

 

If you've read the blog for a while, you may recall my short series entitled "Spirituality at 35,000 Feet".  I wrote several blog posts a few years ago while I was on the 8 hour flight back from visiting my brother for his wedding in France.  Well, I am back on a plane so I thought I'd redeem the time and write a few more posts.

Rather than talk about the plane ride (which I don't care for quite honestly), let talk about the desert.  Almost all of what surrounds Las Vegas is desert - sometimes covered with brush, sometimes rocky and sandy, and often mountainous.  As I  was sitting here  gazing out the window , I thought of the Israelites and their life in the desert.  Certainly many of us know about the 40 years of wandering that the Israelites had to endure, but don't forget that even when they arrived in the Promised Land, most of the Middle East was and is desert or at least quite arid.

Have you ever wondered why God chose a desert-people to represent Him?   One of the reasons is likely because people in the desert are often desperately in need.  While the dessert can provide much of what a person needs to live, there are such dramatic weather and temperature patterns that the water, food, or supplies you need might not be available until after the next flash flood, or after the next rain storm...which might be weeks from now.  But these times of "how will I provide" are perfect for those who are called to walk any faith and not by sight.  Living in the desert reminded the Israelites that they, as the old hymn goes, need Him every hour.

So as we flash forward thousands of years to our lives today, do we live like that?  Do we need God?  Many live as if they do not, and sadly I am not speaking only about those who have chosen to not believe in God - I am speaking about many Christians.  Many Christians, particularly western Christians, have little sense of desperation for God because, to be blunt, they have all their daily needs met. 

But let me offer us all a challenge: it is one thing to say "Father" in a prayer and sound pious, and it is another thing to know God as a loving and caring father.  If we truly believe God is a loving and caring Father who will provide for us, even the desert does not bring us fear, for our God guides us to quiet waters.

- tC

 (For reading on the topic of trusting God, recommend you look at a short biography of Samuel Morris in the "Men and Women of Faith" series.

No comments:

Post a Comment