Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Where Is Home?

What would it look like if your dog got a hold of your new gloves from L.L. Bean and ripped off a finger and a half?  I think it might look like this...




Today, Caroline didn't get enough exercise and so, with her pent up energy, she took apart my new gloves.  It really wasn't her fault - she is just a puppy and doesn't really know any better yet.  I was just home, looking through some files to find some paperwork we needed for our real estate agent, when Jenny called out to me that my gloves had been destroyed.  I finished going through my files and then came out to see the damage.  There they were - one glove completely fine, the other destroyed.

The first thing that came to mind was this passage:


19 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
- Matthew 6:19-21

Over the next few posts, we will look at the idea of home.  What is the true home of the Christ-follower and, in reality, the intended home for all of humanity?  These gloves reminded me that there is nothing that will last that we can take from this life to the next with the exception of two things: relationships (people) and the Word of God (Matthew 5:17-19).  These gloves, my home, my car, my computer, your home, your engagement ring, your golf clubs, your iPhone - none of it will come with us into eternity.
Do we live like we truly believe this?

- tC

No comments:

Post a Comment