Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Thinking On Things Above


A few years ago, I bought this book in the audio version to listen to on my iPod as I jogged, walked the dogs, and did yard work.  Over 500 "pages" later, I finished it.  If you ever want to read a book that 1.) will address many questions about Heaven and 2.) will re-orient your life, this is an excellent choice.

If you are reading this and would not call yourself a follower of Christ, the questions that I level at Christians are still applicable.  The question that came to me as I reflected on the notion of home was this: toward what am I most oriented?  I have to determine what my end is in order to know how to orient myself.  If I were to head into the wilderness and had my mind made up that I would travel southwest, a commitment to that direction does me no good if my goal - mountaintop, campsite, whatever it might be - is not found there.  So what is your life oriented toward?  More specifically, is this earth your true home, or perhaps is there something else?  C.S. Lewis spoke to the longing we have for something eternal when he wrote that we betray ourselves when we speak about time.  He notes how we often speak with some sense of shock at the passage of time - how someone has aged or grown, how time passes by so quickly.  A fish isn't surprised by the wetness of water, and wouldn't be...unless it was destined to walk on the land.  In the same way, we should not be so surprised at the passage of time...unless we are destined to exist beyond time, in eternity, in Heaven, with God.

If you are a follower of Christ and are reading this, I offer you Colossians 3:2, a simple but profound line from the Apostle Paul:

"Set your mind on things above, not on earthly things." 

I truly believe that one of the 4 most serious challenges faced by the church today is what we truly believe about Heaven.  When we act like we truly believe in a life beyond this one, we will be transformed and others will be truly drawn to our lives in Christ.

Upon what is your mind set?

- tC

No comments:

Post a Comment