Saturday, November 13, 2010

Discerning Direction - God's Character



I believe that at the core of the "will of God" question is character - the character of God.  While there are many aspects to discerning His will, at the core of the issue is the question who is God?  What is He like?  What is His nature and more specifically, what is His nature toward me, His child? 

When we are in a season of wrestling through the next steps of life, we can begin to look at God as a judge, as a dictator, or as a begrudging Father who is waiting for us to make a mistake and miss the mark.  But this is not the character of God as described in holy writ.  Over and over again we read in the Old Testament that "the LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love" (Psalm 103:8)  Think to the very opening pages of the Bible.  Even after The Fall, God shows compassion.  In a fallen state if Adam and Eve had partaken of the tree that offered eternal life, it follows that they could have existed in a fallen state eternally.  Thus, their expulsion from the Garden was an act of love.  Even after they are found guilty of breaking God's only command, He gives them clothing to cover their nakedness (probably at the cost of the life of an animal).  From the beginning to the end of the Bible, God is kind and gracious.

If we are unsure of the "what" when it comes to the future, perhaps we need to focus on the "who" instead.  If we can trust in Him, we can be sure that when the time is right, He will lead us in His ways. 

Years ago, I was in a Ph.D. program in sociology.  At the same time, I began to feel a calling into full-time vocational ministry.  I struggled for many hours with what God's will was for me.  Was I to continue as an academic and impact the university-setting for Christ?  Was I to leave a Ph.D. program where I was experiencing great success to become a full-time campus minister?  It was truly a season (short as it was) of agony.  But relief came when I finally arrived at a place where this is what I said to God:
God, I don't know where You want me to go.  You know that as best as I can tell in my own heart, I am seeking You with all that I have.  I am going to walk forward doing the best that I can and if You need to redirect me, please do.  I will go where You call me, just make it clear.

And that was it.  There is great freedom in knowing that God is not out cause His children to fail.  In John 15 we read that when we bear fruit, it is to the glory of God (John 15:8).  If that is true, He will put us in the place where we can most bless Him, bless others, and glorify His name.  If we can trust in His character, we can walk forward in faith that we are not walking alone.

- tC

1 comment:

  1. hi tim i am heading off to an interdenominational christian church in centerville ma looking for a home...fellowship. your message is my guide, momma

    ReplyDelete