Wednesday, December 26, 2012

There Is Always A Way To Be Productive



(imagerymajestic - FreeDigitalPhotos.net)
One of the questions I hear often is, "How do I, as an average person who works a 9-5 job, serve God more fully?  How do I go and 'make disciples' when all I do is __________________ (fill in the blank - 'run a business', 'clean offices', 'live as a stay-at-home mom', 'program computers')?"  Ephesians 5:16 tells us to redeem the time, but to this point - how do we do this?  How do we redeem the time?

It's a fair question, and I often hear a follow-up comment as people say that this is easy for me (Tim) since I work in ministry "full-time".

Here are 3 quick thoughts.

First, we are all in full-time ministry, period.  It's just that some of us have it as both a calling and a form of employment.

Secondly, we must not think that 'making disciples' = evangelism = preaching and having people, in response to a message, pray the 'I accept Jesus' prayer.  Making disciples is a process of helping people become whole-hearted followers and students of Jesus Christ.  That said, we can all help people move forward in this process by...

Third - prayer.  We can always redeem the time and play a role in making disciples by praying for people.
Over the past few months I have had the chance to read several biographies of Christians who have made a significant impact on the world (Hudson Taylor, George Muller, etc.).  One of the most powerful truths I have gleaned from these books is the power of prayer.  It is not something that some special prayer warriors do - it is a calling for every person who names the Name of  Jesus Christ.  Thus, if you want to redeem the time but don't know how - pray for people you know.  Pray for those who don't yet know Jesus.  Pray for those who do know Him.  Redeem the time.

- tC  


No comments:

Post a Comment