Friday, November 16, 2012

Have A Plan


(Salvatore Vuono - FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

If you read the Bible, it's easy to grab a hold of certain verses because they just make sense.  Philippians 4:13 and Luke 1:37 are two popular ones - reminding us that God is able.  As I was thinking about today's post, I thought that Proverbs 15:22 is probably a well-liked verse - "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed."  It's true - you seek out wise people, you look to others who know more, and your plans are more likely to work out.  However, I want to just point out the base-level assumption within this verse - the assumption that the individual has a plan of some sort.

In my life, I have found that I have to lean into the sovereignty of God more and more.  As a thinker, planner, and Type-A personality, that can be challenging.  But the more I live, the more I see how small I am in the grand scheme of all things.  However, I also see that I can use the idea of 'leaning into God's sovereignty' as an excuse for having no plan.  On a day when I don't have to work or don't have a ton of goals to accomplish, I an waste the entire day away and then, as I roll into bed at night, I think, "There is a day I can never get back."

My encouragement to you is to to have a plan.  I am of the mindset that we need personal mission statements for our lives overall (of course, written in pencil since yes, He is in charge of all things and can change what my plans might be).  But even in our day-to-day living, we need a plan.  What will I strive toward today for the Kingdom of God?  What will I do to make myself more of an asset to God's work in the world.  Or, as Paul remind us (since it is the ultimate end of all things),"Who might God want me to love today?"

Have a plan.  Write it in pencil, but have a plan.

- tC  

No comments:

Post a Comment